Thursday, October 13, 2005

The yard sale, the pearl street house, other stuff

On Saturday, October 8th, Donnie and I drove down at 6:00 am to help Sherry get ready for our yard sale. I always get anxious about yard sales because I can't organize myself to make them look like the sales I go to. Sherry had priced some things but mostly we were just going to have people ask us for a price. There were a couple hispanic males that bought my old karaoke machine, and a record player. I asked if they wanted an amplifier so I went to the front garage and dug out my old peavey 100 I bought when I sang with the Country Revolution back in 1977. I sold it to them for $10. They were our best customers. I stood out front with all my old records on the tailgate of Daniel's truck. The more I looked at them, the more I decided I could get rid of 80 % of them. It hurt, but I had to do it. After the sale there were several books we did not sale. I only saved 10 of them. I am letting the rest of them go also. We were all tired. I had had only 4 hours of sleep. Sherry had had even less. We just wanted a chance to sell our junk before we gave it away. It was a bad day to have it because it was the second week of scenic drive. But we were running out of time. Dad wanted Sherry to move out on October 15th. Sherry works all weekends so we asked Dad if she could stay until the 19th and he said yes but he was calling the Carpet man to come and pull up the carpet on the 20th. Dad is very anxious about all of this, but I really can't blame him. I forgot to make mention that he turned 80 on the 3rd. The announcement was in the newspaper on Friday. This is what it said:
W. Harold Perry Friday, October 7, 2005
KNOXVILLE - W. Harold Perry, 102 S. Park St., observed his 80th birthday Monday.He was born Oct. 3, 1925, in Hardin County, Ky.
He married Audrey Marie Johnson on Feb. 6, 1949, in Grace Lutheran Church of Knoxville.
He is the father of Steven H. (and Roxann) Perry, Cypress, Texas; and Cynthia (and Donald) Anderson, Bettendorf, Iowa. He has four grandchildren.
He served on the USS Manila Bay in World War II, and returned home and received his high school diploma in 1946. He moved to Illinois on March 8, 1948, and met his wife of 56 years by chance at a dance that year on his birthday. He worked on a farm outside of Knoxville for a few years, then worked at Brown Specialty and Admiral's before he became a salesman for Sears in 1959. He left Sears in 1980 and went on to work as a maintenance man in the Knoxville School system. He retired in 1986, and has spent much of his retirement years playing golf.

My brother, Steve, has been helping Dad do little projects. They had stored a bunch of wood in the back garage so Steve can build Dad a workbench in the garage. I also haven't mentioned that Bob Coffey and his crew started putting a roof and siding on the house on October 4. Luckily, they did not leave a mess when we had our Yard Sale Saturday. We were worried we were going to clash. They were going to store the siding in the garage, but they decided to store it behind the house instead. They have the roof on now and all the siding on except for the front. A tree trimmer guy came on Tuesday and trimmed the tree out front. We wanted it cut down but they said it was a healthy tree. Life is going to be different in just one week. The phone number I have had since 1976 will be retired.(unless Dad takes it over). Dad's phone number he has had since 1980 will be retired. He will be moving out of Mom's home. She will never be there again. That is the sad thing. I wish there was a chance she could go through her stuff one more time. She seems well enough now. I might bring this up to Dad. Jake is coming for supper tomorrow night. I asked him if he wanted hamburger and fries or spaghetti and he said he wanted cheeseburger Macaroni. So that is what we are having.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home