Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Watching Audrey

I packed my clothes this afternoon after Dad said that he needed me here. I didn't bring all my silkworms like I was going to do. I just brought the baby ones. I don't think Dad even knows that they are here. Donnie stayed home to take care of the pets. He still wasn't feeling well when I left him. I finally contacted Sherry at 3 p.m. I told her about Mom. She had already taken half a day off of work so I asked her take to the rest of the day off and come over to Mom and Dad's with me. I met her at her house at 6:45. We got to Mom and Dad's and it was just in time for Dad to give Mom her meds. Mom woke up, Dad told her we were here and she asked if Donnie was with us. So she is still pretty much with it. Dad locked all the doors so they could have some privacy while he gave her her meds anally. She had not been able to keep anything down today so the nurses decided this was the best way to give her her meds. Sherry and I cleared moving boxes from the bed in the side room. We came back in and Dad told me to call my brother Steve. I did and he wants me to keep him informed about Mom's condition. He gave me his cell number so I can call him anytime. Then Sherry and I sat and talked with Dad for over an hour. We talked about her new trailer and how Dad wants to remodel the house on Pearl St. Sherry's boyfriend, Daniel, came to the door at nearly 9 p.m. After they left Dad woke Mom up one more time so she could reposition herself on the bed. She was able to sit up by herself but she was a little wobbly. I noticed that she was pulling at the front of her pajama top. In the information book that hospice gave Dad, it says that in the latter stages pulling on their garments is a symptom. She was able to scoot herself up in the bed and went right back to sleep. It is 12:30 now. I told Dad to go get some sleep at 11:30. We had sat another hour talking. He told me more about his time on the ship, USS Manila Bay, when he was in WWII.
I enjoy hearing his stories. I hope he is resting now. Donnie and I have gotten into the habit of staying up until 3 or 4 in the morning. This will come in handy tonight because I plan to stay awake all night until Dad takes over in the morning. We knew this time was coming, but it still doesn't make it any easier.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home