Friday, September 30, 2005

Audrey is still doing good

I drove down from Bettendorf Thursday morning at 9:30. My childhood friend, Merry Fishel (Simpson, Frazier, Marvel, Perkins) was here from Alabama to attend the visitation and funeral of her father, Hod (Harold) Fishel. Her mother passed away in January of 2000. I remember my mom and I went to see her at the hospital after Merry's sister, Sherry, told us their mom was ill. I will always remember looking into the hospital room and seeing their mom Shirley sleeping on the bed. I just the her from the back. Her hair was thinning and she looked so frail. I did not want to go in, but Mom did. She didn't try to wake her. She agreed that she didn't look well. Shirley died soon after our visit.
Anyway, I stopped by Flowers by Suzanne on S0uth Seminary Street and I chose a planter to take to the Funeral Home. Because of the price of gas, it costs $4.00 to deliver the plant. I told her I was going to knoxville anyway so I would deliver it. When I got to the funeral home, I thought the door was locked so I left the planter outside the door. I then went to the resale shop at the Presbyterian Church at the corner of Main and Market. Then I went to Dad's. It was 11:00. I sat and talked to him for a couple hours then I went back up to the nursing home to Hod Fishel's Visitation. Merry was there with her 2 girls, her son, husband and grandchildren. Sherry was standing by their dad's casket also. She talked to me more than Merry did. I told Merry that I would call her sometime in the next week. I left there and went out to the Nursing Home to see Mom. She was in her room over by the window. She was looking at the JC Penney's Catalog that Dad had given her. He wants her to choose a new outfit to wear. She was looking for undershirts and pajamas for Dad. She had written out the order and asked me to call it in. She told me she wants to call her sister, Marge, in Arizona. My phone was not fully charged. She said she is waiting for Steve to come and she will use his phone.
Steve and Roxie did come the next day and mom got to use Steve's phone to call Marge.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home