Saturday, August 06, 2005

Sherry gets her false teeth

Back in April we started the process of getting my daughter Sherry some false teeth. She has been working hard and finally she found time to complete the process. I had made arrangements for her to see the oral surgeon in Galesburg on July 11. We were just going to go to Affordable Dentures up here in East Moline on the Friday before, July 8th. Even though it is just a walk in clinic, I thought I would call and make sure they were open so I called on Thursday. Much to my dismay, I got a recording saying that they were on vacation all that week and would not open again until Monday the 11th. There went the appointment for the oral surgeon that I had made nearly 3 weeks before. I called the oral surgeon and they could not get her in until August 1. I called around the Quad Cities and was able to get an appointment for July 13th. That would work out great! We could go to Affordable Dentures in East Moline early Monday morning on the 11th and she could get her teeth and then come back up here on the 13th and her teeth pulled and the dentures installed.

So, Sherry came up to my house early on Monday, July 11th. We drove over to the East Moline office and we were greeted at the door by the receptionist. She was placing a sign on the door saying the doctor had an emergency and would not be in that day or Tuesday. It was so disappointing. (Especially since I had had no sleep and sherry had had only 2 hours sleep.) Since we had made an appointment with the oral surgeon for Wednesday, Sherry decided to go down to Peoria on Tuesday. Her friend, Kristin, did not go with her so Sherry drove alone. She got there at 7:30 but did not get out of there until 10:30. She called me and told me that her teeth would not be ready until 3:30. She had thoughts about driving home and then going back. I told her that would not be very wise since the price of gas is now over $2.25 in Illinois. So she hung around Peoria all afternoon and got her teeth and came home.

Since her friend wasn't able to go with her that day, we had to make sure that someone was with her when she got her teeth pulled on Wednesday, so Donnie and I went down and spent the night at mom and dad's on Tuesday night and we brought Sherry up here to Davenport on Wednesday to get her front teeth pulled. The oral surgeon installed her dentures. She looks so much better and happier. Since she had to be back in Peoria to have he dentures fitted better the next day, I took her home that afternoon and I spent the night with mom and dad. Wednesday also happened to be my 4th wedding anniversary. Then to top it all off, Mom and Dad's airconditioner quit after 38 years of faithful service. Dad and Aunt Barb Perry put a window unit into the living room and it kept the living room and kitchen cool until a new central unit was installed on Friday. I slept in mom's hospital bed in the living room that night. Mom and Dad have a small air conditioner in their bedroom. We all woke up at 3:30. The living room was a cool 75 degrees. Mom came out to sleep in the chair because the bedroom was chilly also. Dad came out to turn down the air conditioner in the living room. I told Mom I would sleep in the chair. Dad said he wanted to sleep in the chair to make sure Mom got to sleep o.k. Finally he decided he would stay up and play bridge on the computer and said he would make coffee at 4:30 a.m. Mom laid in her hospital bed for about 20 minutes then carried her blanket and pillow and went back to the bedroom. Dad turned off the computer and he went back to bed. I still slept in the chair. Dad woke up at 6:30 and Mom and I woke up about 6:45. I had to pick Sherry up at 8:30 to be down in Peoria at 10. We got to the office at 9:45 and sat there for 2 hours. Sherry got her dentures adjusted and then we went to Denny's to have a breakfast lunch. We also stopped by Salvation Army where I bought some yarn to use with my new knitting machine. We came home old 150. It broke up the monotony of always driving on the interstate. We stopped at Mom and Dad's on our way home and I took a picture of the 3 of them together. I then took Sherry home and I rested at her place for 20 minutes and then drove back home to Bettendorf. On Friday, I rested. That was quite a week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home